The Weekly Bulletin: Week 46, 2016
Long time, no write.
I was planning on a much more dramatic entrance than a weekly bulletin post. I mulled over how best to get back into blogging after such a long hiatus. But the more I mulled, the more I delayed, so in the end I decided to ease in with a usual update post. I won’t go into detail about why I’ve been away, but it can be summarized as such: good things happened, bad things happened, things got busy, the blog was forgotten, then remembered, something else was prioritized, I forgot my password, I forgot how to use WordPress, etc etc. Exciting and totally original, no? In the end, I missed writing here so much that I got my butt into gear and here we are. Now, onto the round-up!
- Akita Inu Tourism is trying to attract visitors with a new idol group of Akita Inu dog people called Mofu Mofu Dogs. (Mofu mofu is an onomatopoeic expression meaning fluffy, or soft to the touch. Akita is the northern prefecture where the famous Hachiko comes from, and where the Akita dog (Akita Inu) gets its name from.) It’s…an interesting…campaign, but perhaps not as eye-opening as that of Australia’s Northern Territory. I think Akita should stick to posting videos of just Akita puppies, because I’d go for just them. Wouldn’t you?
A good example of the videos they should be posting. I’m not ashamed to say it made me cry, and it’s not even sad:
- Living abroad, it’s often easy to forget how things work back home. Someone shared a reminder of how good Sweden is about waste management and recycling with me recently:
- Apparently, I’m not done with Akita dogs, so here’s another one. Yuki goes on an adventure and meets some pigs, horses and a cat.
- Brown, often featured on my Instagram, now has his own Twitter account. Follow him for occasionally interesting insights into being a little bear in a big world, and plenty of selfies in exotic (and non-exotic) locations.
- I wrote a thing on autumn in Japan for NHK World’s column Eyes Open. I felt like I was telling a white lie about the weather because the rain has been pretty relentless this year and it’s already gotten cold and miserable. It’s normally true, I swear!
Annnd, that’s it for this time. Until next time, here’s a grumpy-looking cat from our old neighborhood:
P.S. My last post on here mentioned a giveaway—I still plan on doing that (and have a bunch of goods ready for it), but it’ll take some time to get in order.