The 100th Post!
I had a bit of a conundrum the other day. I had several different posts scheduled and ready to go when I realized the next one would be post number 100! How time flies! I only started in June last year, and I’m already on my 100th post! Admittedly, several are from the Tokyo Walking series, which are photo reposts from my old blog, but even so, I’m surprised! So in honor of this, I’ve decided to take a leaf out of Hilary’s Global Cafe and make a “post parade” of popular posts by views, shares and my own personal favorites: ^^
Top 5 posts by Page Views
- Massan ー An AMWF Love Story: This was unsurprising given the popularity of the show! YJ and I gave up on following every day (difficult with changes in schedules etc) but have still been following it on and off. The final episode is at the end of this month, so will be following the lead up to that more closely!
- Christmas in Japan: A Brief History: A guest post written by the wonderful Helen of Inn by the Sea Kamakura on how Xmas became such a popular holiday in Japan, and why some of the customs are a little bit “weird” compared with the more traditional style celebrations.
- 5 Things (Some) Japanese People Find Weird About Swedish Food Customs: I feel bad for those that come via Google, because they usually use the term “weird Japan”… and this is more about how wacky the Swedes are! YJ and I will definitely be adding some more Swedish-oriented posts at some pointーthis is after all an intercultural relationship, and the weirdness goes both ways!
- 5 Japanese Words You Already Know: Food: Language learning is hard. Sometimes it’s nice to get a little bit of a boostー”Oh, I already knew that!”, and that’s what this series was supposed to be. I did a second post on work-related vocab as well, but fell out of it. Would definitely like to continue with these, as I always learn something new, too!
- Shiba Dog Shopkeeper 柴犬タバコ屋さん: Who can resist an adorable puppy dog store attendant? Evidently I’m not the only one with a soft spot for puppies with jobs. We were lucky to meet this adorable salesdog and his owner, and I hope we can stop by for another visit soon. ^^
Top 5 Posts by Shares
- Christmas in Japan: A Brief History: Came in at number 2 in terms of hits, but was shared quite a lotーmost likely thanks to Helen’s excellent social network!
- 8 Typhoon Preparation Tips You Need To Know: A list of some of the less obvious must-do’s to avoid a lot of damage during the typhoon season. Japan is certainly not alone in getting hit by typhoons, so it’s definitely important info! (Especially since there were so many “super-typhoons” last year. Tokyo got lucky, but other areasーespecially Okinawa, not so much.)
- Japanese Superstitions: Falling in Love: Mostly a list of bizarre urban legends, and a follow up to my main post on the subject, Japanese Superstitions: Love and Dating (which came in at nr 6!). I love reading about little cultural quirks, and apparently I’m not alone in that! ^^
- Shiba Dog Shopkeeper 柴犬タバコ屋さん: Unsurprisingly the cute Shiba dog ranks high here too!
- Massan ー An AMWF Love Story: People were kind enough to share this story a bit as well. ^^
My Personal Faves (that aren’t listed above, in no particular order)
- Noms: Totoro Cream Puffs: A post about Totoro and food all in one placeーwhat’s not to love!? This was from when I was just starting out, so it’s pretty rough, but I hope more people will get a chance to read aboutーand best of all, visitーthis fantastic bakery. ^^
- Koenji Awaodori Matsuri 2014: 10 Things I Learned About Festival Photography: I felt really nervous about this posting this oneーI’m not a great photographer, but I want to become a better one so I have to push myself a bit. This was one way of doing that and it gave me the courage to experiment. I’m hoping to go to the same festival next year and share much better photos the next time around!
- Conversations with YJ: Granddad: YJ and I have plenty of weird conversations, but the ones with his granddad are pure gold! I’ve not been updating these as much as I’d like to lately, but I am keeping notes. YJ even reminds me, “Oh, what I just said was really clever. Write it down!” …. ^^; YJ doesn’t do much sleep talking anymore, but he says I am a lot lately, so perhaps he’ll get his revenge on me in a post soon…
- Bus Ramen バスラーメン: It’s ramen on an old busーnothing fancier than that, alas! It’s a good reminder for me about simpler times in Miyazaki, and I do love a cheesy gimmick. ^^ This was also a throwback from my old blog.
- Setagaya Ume Matsuri 世田谷梅祭り 2015: I love flowers, and I love plum blossoms the most so I couldn’t not have this among my personal faves! My old Tokyo Walking post from the sakura season is a close second out of the flower ones, and I do like Chrysanthemums too, but… Plum blossoms win every time. ^^
And that’s my little best post summary! I have a lot of ideas and plans for this blog, and I hope you’ll join me as I (hopefully) get better at writing and sharing them with you! Thank you to everyone who’s taken the time to follow my blog so farーI really, really appreciate it! It always makes me happy to see people reading my posts, even when they’re quite silly.
Blog Goals for the next 100 posts
- More bilingual posts: I’ve gotten lazy about this, and shouldn’t be. I want to write in both Japanese and English more and plan to do so, starting in March.
- More (and better!) photography: Again, this is a matter of lazinessーnot wanting to lug about my DSLR or taking the time to learn how to use it properly.
- More reviews: These are pretty backed up now! I have so many wonderful books I’ve been reading that I’d love to share, but am stalling on writing (or finishing writing!) the reviews to go with them.
- More guest posts: I really enjoyed writing Things I Love About Japan: Surgical Masks for Texan in Tokyo as it gave me a chance to write something that maybe I wouldn’t normally write for my blog, but that I definitely want to share! I also want to open the blog to guest posts from others too, but that may take a little while to get organized.
- More posts by YJ: He keeps talking about telling everyone about my embarrassing stories, and I’m quite happy for him to share most of them! Just gotta push him into doing it! ^^
Annnnnd… I would finish with a question regarding what you’d like to see on the blog but I’ll save that for next week! Why? Well… it involves a giveaway!!! I’ll be posting about it on Friday March 6th, so keep an eye out for it! ^^)/
Thank you for your support for these 100 posts, and I hope you join me for the next 100!