The Weekly Bulletin: Week 6, 2015
Well, it’s been quite the week. It snowed last Friday and I’m not impressed. I don’t hate snow per se, but if I loved it, I would probably live somewhere colder. And in a place where they know how to handle it. Though this year’s first snow wasn’t too bad, it did cause some train delays and was pretty gross sludge after a couple of hours. Eww. Seriously waiting for Spring… until then, the weekly bulletin for the first week of February!
- We Need Diverse Books (WNDB), an organization and campaign “committed to the ideal that embracing diversity will lead to acceptance, empathy, and ultimately equality” is looking for talented writers to enter their short story contestーentries accepted from April 27th to May 8th, so if you’re eligible and interested, get writing!
- Stacia from Living the Tokyo Dream interviewed a Japanese tattoo artist called Garyo, who shared his thoughts on being inked in his homeland, which is known for being strict when it comes to tattoos. Very interesting!
- My friend Stephanie from Tokyo Sento gives a great intro to the famous Kyushu ramen chain, Ippudo, at its Ginza location:
- A set of Tokyo Maps from Nippon.com show how much of the city would be covered in volcanic ash if Mt.Fuji erupted (not impossibleーits last eruption was in 1707, and there’s concern that the Great Tohoku Earthquake may cause it to erupt again in the “near” future), or if the sea levels rose 7 meters…
- Yesterday was Setsubun, a welcoming of Spring in Japan (which felt especially off given the snow last week) which involves chucking beans at oni (ogres) and shouting “oni wa soto, fuku wa uchi!/Ogres out, good luck in!”ーor, if you’re in Shimokitazawa, you only shout the good luck bit, and throw beans at Tengu…
- Last but not least, the usual music vid. Blue Encount just released a new track, but personally I like their catchy tune “Halo” from three years ago much better:
- This is what I have to deal with when taking photos for the blog. YJ intentionally or unintentionally gets in the way in about 70% of my shots. This one… Intentional. >_> The struggle is real, people. Incidentally, this was taken at my absolute favorite latte shop in
Shimokitaall of Tokyo, Ballon D’essai. ^^ Barista Fuzimiya-san will do (almost?) any design you ask of him.
- Speaking of YJ, his latest “myboom” as they say here in Japan, is the very popular Gudetamaーa lazy egg yolk character (with a butt!) from Sanrio. He’s quick to quip quotes from it as soon as he’s forced into something he doesn’t want to do… So of course I bought him LINE stickers and got him this Gatcha toy, too. ^^;
- Though we’re getting into February, the “Christmas”, or rather Winter illuminations are still going strong. I hope they stay until March (some do, though many finish on Christmas Day or by New Years Eve), since the nights are still coldーthe light makes it seems a little cheerier at least. ^^
How long do you think Winter Illuminations should last?