The Weekly Bulletin: Week 6, 2015

Well, it’s been quite the week. It snowed last Friday and I’m not impressed. I don’t hate snow per se, but if I loved it, I would probably live somewhere colder. And in a place where they know how to handle it. Though this year’s first snow wasn’t too bad, it did cause some train delays and was pretty gross sludge after a couple of hours. Eww. Seriously waiting for Spring… until then, the weekly bulletin for the first week of February!

snow in tokyo

Nooooooo

snow in tokyo

It’s all fun and games until it turns to sludgeーapprox 5 mins. 😛

Music/Fashion/Culture

• A set of Tokyo Maps from Nippon.com show how much of the city would be covered in volcanic ash if Mt.Fuji erupted (not impossibleーits last eruption was in 1707, and there’s concern that the Great Tohoku Earthquake may cause it to erupt again in the “near” future), or if the sea levels rose 7 meters…
  • Yesterday was Setsubun, a welcoming of Spring in Japan (which felt especially off given the snow last week) which involves chucking beans at oni (ogres) and shouting “oni wa soto, fuku wa uchi!/Ogres out, good luck in!”ーor, if you’re in Shimokitazawa, you only shout the good luck bit, and throw beans at Tengu…
  • Last but not least, the usual music vid. Blue Encount just released a new track, but personally I like their catchy tune “Halo” from three years ago much better:

Our Stuff

• This is what I have to deal with when taking photos for the blog. YJ intentionally or unintentionally gets in the way in about 70% of my shots. This one… Intentional. >_> The struggle is real, people. Incidentally, this was taken at my absolute favorite latte shop in Shimokita all of Tokyo, Ballon D’essai. ^^ Barista Fuzimiya-san will do (almost?) any design you ask of him.

ballon dessai latte

• Speaking of YJ, his latest “myboom” as they say here in Japan, is the very popular Gudetamaーa lazy egg yolk character (with a butt!) from Sanrio. He’s quick to quip quotes from it as soon as he’s forced into something he doesn’t want to do… So of course I bought him LINE stickers and got him this Gatcha toy, too. ^^;
gudetama onsen egg

“I want to go to an onsen…” This is a pun: poached eggs are called “onsen tamago/eggs” in Japan. ^^

• Though we’re getting into February, the “Christmas”, or rather Winter illuminations are still going strong. I hope they stay until March (some do, though many finish on Christmas Day or by New Years Eve), since the nights are still coldーthe light makes it seems a little cheerier at least. ^^

IMG_6719

How long do you think Winter Illuminations should last?

10 responses to “The Weekly Bulletin: Week 6, 2015”

1. Hilary says:

Yay for snow in Tokyo! It only snowed once when we lived there and prompty melted but it was weird to look outside from my tapatapatapping to see the white fluff.

And… I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out the link to find out why I nominated you, the award rules and how to accept. Congrats and Happy Blogging! http://japancanmix.com/2015/02/03/liebster-award-acceptance-and-nominations/
    Hilary recently posted…Liebster Award – acceptance and nominations

It’s snowing again today…. T-T The winter gods are cruel. 😉

Ooh, thank you for the nomination! I shall have to write up a post asap! 😀

2. Timo says:

SNOW! How terrible, you must suffer a lot after surviving to many years with that white demon stuff in yóur homecountry 😀
    Timo recently posted…My 100th Blog Post

You don’t even know how much! T-T At least in Sweden I’m protected from the cold it creates indoors. Here it’s around you, all the time T-T

• Timo says:

Oh I totally forgot about the heating…just read it in another blog post that there is often/ not at all central heating? I would go crazy! No chance that I would visit any coutnry without central heating when the temperatures are getting lower
        Timo recently posted…My 100th Blog Post

To be honest I have less issue with the lack of central heating and more with the fact that there’s no insulation or double glazing! So even if you heat the room with whatever option you have, the heat doesn’t stay and you still feel a draft from the outside. T-T

In my office the Christmas decorations were removed this Monday, just in time to be changed into Chinese New Year decorations 😀
    Marta recently posted…Our short-distance relationship

4. Ah, it snowed in Tokyo! People in Taiwan travel to Hehuanshan just to touch and play with snow (Hehuan mountain is the highest road in Taiwan at an elevation of over 3000 meters). They put chains on their tires just to make the journey. And some go to Japan. As for me, I am with you! I saw enough of that white stuff in Canada to do me a lifetime!

Love the lights!! I photographed a Christmas tree last year and it seemed to become a holiday tree. They later decked it out for Chinese New Year and then Valentines. There are pics of it towards the end here as a CNY tree. http://foreignsanctuary.com/2014/01/26/painting-the-town-red-chinese-new-year-decorations/

Oh, and my husband and I will be going to Japan in Sept for our Canadian anniversary. We were going to go to Beijing for it but it is too close to Golden Week in China and some of our friends told us to stay as far away from China during that time because it is complete madness. So, we flipped the destinations! – Beijing in June, Japan in Sept.
    Constance – Foreign Sanctuary recently posted…A Combination of Sass, Wit, and Humor – The Coolest Grandmother Ever!

I’m impressed people are so dedicated to see/touch snow. I’m glad someone enjoys it, haha! XD

Ohh! I like the idea of a general holiday tree, that just changes according to the seasonーneat! And more practical…

Oh!! September is a *good* month to go! Still warm (dare I say hot, erk?) but cooling off and must more pleasant to be traveling in. 😀 Shall edit some of my suggestions accordingly! ^^