The Weekly Bulletin: Week 3, 2015
*Knock knock* Hey there, remember me!? Long time no see! I kind of fell off the internet there for a while, which was stressful at first (I wanted to post but couldn’t) and then quite relaxing once I got settled into the holiday spirit of eating too much and watching far too many reruns of QI and Blackadder. Mmm, nothing says “it’s the holidays!” like excess. I’m easing back into blogging with a weekly bulletin post, so forgive me if some of the later ones seems a bit out of order.
- One of my very good friends Stephanie has started her own blog called Tokyo Sento! (A sento is a public bath houseーsimilar to onsen in some ways, but different in others. Post on that coming soon!) She is so incredibly knowledgable about Japanese public baths, so if you’re ever curious to try one out, Tokyo Sento is the place to check it out! You can also follow her sento adventures on Instagram, where she posts reviews on different sento with the hashtag #dokodemosento!
- This article on cross-cultural experiences is such a fun presentation of things we think is weird in cultures other than our own. There were a lot of “Aha!” moments for me while reading it.
- Moshi Moshi Boxーthe visitor center in Harajuku opened a little while back, and though I’ve passed it, I’ve not bothered to go in yet. The peeps at Tokyo Fashion did though, and here’s their report.
- BBC News covered the story of Rita and Masataka Taketsuru, the founders of Nikka Whisky, which the series “Massan” is based on. Go have a peek to see how stylish Rita was! <3 (Unsurprisingly the company is experiencing a serious boom in sales!)
- Speaking of fancy fashionsーthis Youtube clip features 100 years’ worth of hair and make up in just one minute. Quite inspiring!
- I feel like this posts are empty without any music, so I’m going to pop in 「嫌い」/”Kirai” (<-hate, dislike) by The Oral Cigarettes. It’s a surprisingly upbeat song with punchy guitar and bass… considering the title!
- And last but not least, I came across the blog of a Swedish manga artist in Tokyo the other day! She does four panel comics about life in Japan… in Japanese! I’m doubly impressed! ^^ Anyway, I can relate to her comic about it being cold indoors in Winter here… I haven’t taken to full on drinking quite yet, but I do drink 漢方/kanpou (which I can only translate vaguely to traditional Chinese medicine and that is entirely unhelpful) which has an alcohol percentage of about 14%. It’s for health reasons, I swear.
- I spent a great Christmas in France and came back just in time for New Years… Then spend the following 10 days or so jet lagged and feeling pretty miserable, erk! So my plans for 2015 are off to a bit of a slow start, but working on it! Perhaps it’s karma for leaving YJ alone for almost three weeksーhe worked, slept and ate ramen of various kinds for the whole time, poor thing. (Not “poor thing” about the ramen though, there are plenty of other “quick food” alternatives” 😉
- YJ and I went to see Big Hero 6 (or Baymax as it’s known in Japan) and we both loved it! YJ in particular was charmed by Baymax and his short chubby legs, making him toddle adorably everywhere. (Here’s hoping for a sequel where Baymax just walks around going about his daily businessーYJ would love it!) Anyway, here’s a pic of YJ with the robot. (He’d like everyone to know that he’s imitating Baymax’s stance. I wasn’t allowed to put this on Instagram “because they won’t be able to see it properly”, so there you go.
- I got a lovely box of sweets and an adorable card from My Hong Kong Husband in the mail, just in time for my birthday! (Oh yeah, there was that too!) I’d share a picture, but I’m too embarrassed to admit how many of the goodies that I’ve already made my way through. Ahem. Anyway, thank you! <3
- Posting will resume as scheduled over the next couple of weeks, with some changes. Not only was I mostly internetless in France, I experienced problems with hackers trying to get into my account. It’s mostly under control now, but am still sorting it out. So if you see any weird messages, it’s probably me breaking things! ^^;
How were your holidays? Or are you planning to take them soon?